Going through a divorce, custody battle, or other family law matter can be a busy and stressful time. Finding the best family law attorney for you in Columbus, Georgia may feel like another item to add to the seemingly endless to-do list. With more than 22 years of experience, Phillips and Sellers Attorneys at Law are dedicated to working with you every step along the way.
5 Tips to Help You Choose a Family Attorney
Ask family and friends for suggestions
- Talking to friends and family is a great place to start. Learn about their experience and what they wish they had known when they were in a similar situation. With that being said, each case is different and what worked for them might not work for you. It is important to conduct your own research and find a family law attorney that fits your needs.
Establish clear communication
- In any relationship, communication is vital. Choosing a family law attorney is no different. Establish open lines of communication with your attorney which includes knowing how to contact them and how long it may be before they can get back to you. Communication is a two-way street. Choose a lawyer that answers any questions you have in a manner that you can understand.
Choose an attorney you trust
- Find an attorney that you trust! Ask yourself if you see yourself working well with this person. Depending on your case, you may need to disclose sensitive information to your attorney. Choosing one that you feel comfortable working with will make your experience easier. In addition, your attorney should express a genuine interest in helping you win your case.
- Choose an attorney, not the firm. When deciding on the attorney to represent you, remember that you are selecting a person, not a law firm. Forming a working relationship with your attorney will go farther than the accolades of choosing a recognized firm.
- When looking for an attorney to represent your case, look for someone who has sufficient prior experience in handling cases that are similar to yours. As tempting as it may be to forgo an attorney and navigate the court system yourself, experience is key! Phillips and Sellers Attorneys at Law have over 22 years of experience in family law matters. Choosing an attorney that specializes in family law could be the deciding factor in your case. After all, you would not want to go to a dentist for an eye exam.
- Be sure to ask about what experience your potential attorney has with settlements and litigations. If your case does not reach a settlement, you will want to be certain that your attorney is comfortable in that situation and is willing to fight for your case.
Choose an attorney that fits within your budget
- When choosing a family law attorney, be open and upfront with your budget and find an attorney that will work with you. Discussing the cost of hiring a qualified family law attorney can be intimidating. At Phillips and Sellers, we understand that and offer free consultations for most cases. If your case is one that requires a consultation fee, you will be told the amount of the consultation fee when scheduling your appointment.
Family Law in Columbus, GA
If you’re looking for a family law attorney in Columbus, Georgia, contact Phillips and Sellers Attorneys at Law today for your free consultation! We are dedicated to helping you get back to what matters most to you.