family law, guardianship

We at Phillip & Sellers advise you to schedule a consultation appointment regarding your questions about the initial petition and if you need the council filling out the other forms necessary to file for guardianship of a minor. Secondly, you will need to file all the forms completed to the probate court in your county.

After that process has been completed, you must notify these people that you are petitioning for guardianship:

  • The minor child if he or she is 14 years or older and has not yet consented
  • The parents of the minor child
  • The person who has cared for the child for the 60 days prior to filing
  • Any other person as directed by the judge of the probate court

Getting “notice” means that these parties must get copies of the court papers. Once all parties have been notified the court date will be set to approve or deny your petition of guardianship. This period of waiting can be stressful and having legal guidance through the process can give you peace of mind and be helpful.

For more information on what other forms are needed and questions, you have regarding guardianship contact us here.

Phillips and Sellers Guardianship Attorneys

Need assistance in family law? Phillips and Sellers Attorneys At Law are here to assist in your legal needs. We have family lawyers in Columbus, Georgia and we are ready to help. Schedule a consultation appointment with us today.

Family Lawyers Columbus GA